Museum front

Museum front
This is the future site of "The American Working Dog Museum" and its supporting coffee and gift shop, "Toby's Sit & Stay." We will eventually renovate the facade in keeping with historical preservation guidelines.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Toby Goes to Hospice

Our booth at the festival was a quiet success. We didn't have a splashy presentation, as no electricity was available in our location, but many people stopped by to read our informational signs, give Toby and Trooper (dog and puppy) a treat, and ask about animal therapy. At least two of the passersby stayed to talk about how they could get their own dogs involved, and I gave them my card and a promise to help them if they decided to pursue it. I didn't sell any of my storybooks, but I didn't really expect to. It wasn't the venue for such things. But I did give one book away in a free drawing, as well as two sessions of R.E.A.D. for a child, so at least two families will remember us after the festival is packed up and put away.

Yesterday Toby (my Sheltie) and I had our first meeting with the Hospice staff. We sat in a storeroom that had been reclaimed and nicely decorated as a small library/lounge and, while Toby napped beside my chair, talked about what each of us hoped to achieve with a therapy animal program. I was asked what my "dream goal" would be for Hospice, and I confess to being a bit surprised by the question. I know what animal therapy does for people, and sometimes forget that it is a fairly new concept for many healthcare professionals. I do hope to grow the program, someday, by adding more Pet Partner teams, so we can make more frequent and varied visits, but that is too far off to contemplate at this point. They didn't want pie-in-the-sky projections, but down-to-earth possibilities.

So I said I understand that my animal partners and I will not be working with physical therapists to help patients get well and go home again -- that's not what Hospice is about -- but that we want to bring comfort and pleasure to the patients who are spending their last days there. We know that visiting with an animal can reduce pain, anxiety and blood pressure, and can be a bright spot in a dull day. We want to do all that for the patients, plus put a little fun into their lives. Animals live in the present, and help us to do the same. While we are stroking or playing with an animal, we are not worrying about the future. They bring us into the present, too, and make us feel alive and happy. This is what I hope to accomplish for the Hospice patients.

I talked about how a Pet Partner visit can also help the families of patients/residents in care facilities. When they see their loved one responding to an animal, they catch a glimpse of the person they love before the illness or dementia robbed them of their vitality, and perhaps their awareness as well. When an ill person spends time with a pet, he or she remembers their past life with their own pets, and other joyful memories that are associated with them. For a short time, they are who they were, and families can rejoice in those moments. Family members receive their own portion of therapy from the animals as well. A calm, loving dog or cat makes everyone in the room more relaxed and amused, and provides a distraction from more serious thoughts. I suggested that the staff let families know when our visits are, so they can plan to be there if they'd like.

We also discussed basic things, like behavior and liability. I explained that a registered Delta Society Pet Partner has had two full days of classroom training, plus lots of directed training time with their animals. I described the test we had to pass (obedience, ignoring distractions, socialization with strangers, etc.) to become registered, and told them we had a million dollars liability insurance through Delta Society, and additional insurance with our homeowner's policy. I wanted them to understand that there is a big difference between a registered Pet Partner team, and someone who has a pet they bring in to share. Delta Society establishes standards of conduct and safety that all Pet Partners are bound to follow, so a facility can feel confident they are getting a healthy and professional volunteer team.

When we had finished our discussion, we took a tour of the Hospice wing of the hospital. The private rooms are quite large, comfortably furnished, and attractively decorated. The lounges and kitchenette for families are soothing and conveniently located. We met the staff working at the nurses' station, and as we made our introductions and small talk, two ladies (family visitors) in the patient room across the hall noticed Toby standing beside me. They saw his working vest, and asked if he could come in to visit their mother. I looked to the volunteer coordinator for permission, as we had yet to complete an orientation/training, and she gave me the nod to enter the room.

Inside was a frail old woman in a hospital bed, bundled to the neck in soft fleece blankets. The daughters greeted Toby with enthusiasm, and then asked if their mother could see him. I asked for a towel to put under him, which was quickly provided from the woman's bathroom. I leaned over to Toby and said, "Up to me," and he jumped into my arms. I lifted him up and laid him in the bed beside her, with his head on her chest. He lay quietly while she extricated an arm from the blankets and stroked him with a large smile on her face. We talked about her dogs, Boston Bull Terriers, that she'd had when she was at home, and her daughters smiled and joined the conversation. When she appeared to be getting cold and a bit tired, I lifted Toby out of the bed and thanked the woman for visiting with us. Her daughters also expressed their gratitude for our visit, and asked us to come back as often as possible. They said they knew that our visit would be the highlight of their mother's day. Toby quietly woofed goodbye, and we left the room.

Back in the hallway, I apologized to the staff for hijacking their tour, but they were quick to say that they were happy to make the stop, and it only illustrated to them how important our ministry would be to their patients. The volunteer coordinator usually holds volunteer training only once a year, and the next scheduled session is quite a long time from now, but she asked if I would be willing to come in for a couple of private sessions right away, so we can get the program up and running immediately. I of course said yes, so we have our first session tomorrow morning. Toby, Teddy, Tinker and I are looking forward to starting work there, and will make every effort to complete the training as soon as possible. We may not save lives with our visits, but if we can bring a lessening of pain, and some joy to Hospice patients and their families, we consider ourselves successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment